Do's and Don'ts for Flawless Makeup in Your Photos

 

1. Start with a clean, moisturized face.

Girls are so quick to grab for the cover up to cover, cover, cover any possible imperfection before a photoshoot, when in reality there is nothing more beautiful than a natural glowing face. I know what you're thinking, "There is nothing beautiful about dark circles and acne!" People are generally their own worst critics and see themselves in a far worse light than anyone else. If you would take an honest look at yourself in the mirror, you'd see that even if 10% may be what you'd call problematic, you are neglecting to recognize how beautiful the other 90% of your skin is! The little spots are easy to remove with a bit of photo editing, but we can't rub off your makeup from behind a computer.

2. Use a dewy primer and you can skip the highlighter.

For years I was using a BB Cream under my foundation instead of a primer and oh, what a mistake that was. I've recently come across the primer called Petra by Pixie from Target and it has changed my life! If you've ever felt like your makeup was caked onto your face and always started to slowly melt off in an unflattering way as the day progressed, then this is the thing for you! Added shimmer never really photographs well, but if you use this primer under your foundation, you'll look glowing and beautiful without looking like the vampires from Twilight out in the sun.

3. Show your brows some love.

For years, eyebrows were a totally neglected part of our faces. There was even a time in the 90's which I'd personally like to forget, when we all went through a tweezer craze and were pluck, pluck, a-pluckin' away at one of our biggest assets. I say embrace your bushy brows! They frame your face and give you symmetry which also has a way of accentuating your eyes and your cheekbones. Check out this amazing video by the wonderful Miss Bonnie Hoellein about the best way to fill them in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51JT-bJeLjw

3. Less is more when it comes to eyeliner.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a strong winged eye, but when it comes to the bottom waterline, adding eyeliner can make your eyes appear smaller. When it's left clean it leaves more to the imagination ;)

4. Contour. Contour. Contour.

It may seem daunting to some of you, but once you know the basics of which places to darken and which places to highlight, it really makes all the difference. Contouring your face gives it shape and dimension and will also make it so you don't look washed out. Here is another video by Bonnie which really simplifies the process. I love watching her makeup videos while I get ready in the morning. The products she mentions are great, but keep in mind there are lots of drugstore products that can do magical things as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZ2rSmaiIU

5. Leave the shimmer at home.

Though I am a strong believer in all things glitter, when it comes to a photoshoot matte makeup is key. Be sure to set your face with a translucent powder to be sure nothing will glisten in the sun and give you a weird shine in your photos. My fave right now is the Laura Mercier loose setting powder. It won't give you a powdery face and simply makes everything stay put.

Ok girls, I hope this helped! If you have any questions feel free to give me a call or shoot me a quick email.

Embrace your beauty

Love <3 Jordana